Re: A86: I have an Assembly Shell question . .

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: I have an Assembly Shell question . .

>From my experience, the 85 emulation in Rascall is more buggy than it is in
ASE.  At least ASE 1.0, which is what I used.  I used ASE 1.0 for a long
time and never had any problems with it.  Rascall is supposed to have more
complete emulation, including support for external files, but I have never
tried that feature with either shell.  Matthew Shepcar (author of Rascall)
told me that Rascall had better emulation than ASE, but I never had ASE
crash, and Rascall did.

You are correct about the tokenizing of basic programs.  Whenever you open a
program up in the basic editor, it is converted back into it's text format.
Then when you run it, it is tokenized before it is ran.  This has advantages
and disadvantages.  Once nice thing is that if you have a syntax error, you
will know it before the program is ran.  The bad part is if you make one
change to a 10k program, it takes a little while to re-tokenize the entire
program.

The 85/86 OS are different from the 82/83.  The 86 (and 85 too) tokenizes
everything when it is parsed.  The 82 (and 83 as well), however, doesn't.
The 82 only works with tokens.  This is why on the 82 you have to use the
basic commands from the menus and can't type them in.  The commands from the
menus are actually the tokens displayed in their text format.  On the 86,
you can type in basic commands, because they are tokenized in the parsing
step.

To test this, type in 1+1+1... about 200 times or something reasonably
large.  If you run this on the 86, it will take 5-10 seconds to execute.
However, try this on the 82 and it is almost instant.  This will verify the
parsing and tokenizing going on with the 86.  You can also type in a
complete basic program on the homescreen on the 86 and it will work just
fine.  This is a very neat feature.  On the 83 (not possible to even get the
commands to the screen on the 82, due to no catalog), you cannot.
Interesting, huh?

Ok, sorry for the rambling.   I'll go code something now...