Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

I can see that you are clarifying what the person said.  You do that a
lot.  You can't appeal to profits, you must appeal to principle.

You said that you agree with what this person is saying.  He said using
ROM images "illegally" for "programming research" to produce ports of
games for TI's calculators is OK because because TI will make money off
the sale of calculators.

Then you go on to say "This too is perfectly legal since you seem to
support "programming research" as long as it doesn't hurt TI's profits."
What does this mean?  What if "programming research" hurts TI's profits?
Then is it _illegal_???  The copyright law says nothing about profits.
You can't use that to argue in a court of law.

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives, News, Features, and HTML

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> No.  Again, you refuse to look at what I am replying to.  I am just
> clarifying what the person said.  I am appealing both to principle and
> profits.  It is just that this person seems to be aiming toward profits and
> I am showing him that he agrees more with "programming research" rather
> than what you said.  Also, I am keeping principle since I am NOT justifying
> the breaking of the law.  I am using the copyright's exception to
> distribution for "programming research" purposes.  This is perfectly legal
> and doesn't break the law.
>
> >On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
> >
> >> Seems like you agree more with me since you are either showing SCaBBy's
> >> usage of "illegal" ROM images or you are supporting his usage of
> >> "programming research."  It seems like you are supporting "programming
> >> research" more since you say TI will not lose money because people are
> >> encouraged to buy better calculators than the 30X if it doesn't bust their
> >> budget.  In this example, you are saying that it is okay to use
> >> "programming research" to port to cheaper platforms to encourage people to
> >> buy that calculator.  However, such a port must be tested and you are
> >> saying that copying ROM images to research the ported program for bugs is
> >> legal.  I agree.  I like to take it one step further and say that the ROM
> >> image role can be reversed and porting games for all platforms above the
> >> user's ROM type, benefits those with larger budgets.  This too is perfectly
> >> legal since you seem to support "programming research" as long as it
> >> doesn't hurt TI's profits.

Follow-Ups: References: