Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 04:11 AM 11/19/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Just because distributing the ROM image is illegal, doesn't mean
>researching your OWN ROM image is also illegal.  You can do anything to
>your own copy of the ROM as long as you don't give a copy of your ROM to
>anyone else.

All I was doing was clarifying what this person was saying.  I was just
checking to see if they agreed with me and they apparently do agree through
the e-mail that they sent to the list in reply to my message.  What you are
saying doesn't even coincide with what either of us were saying.

>On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
>
>> >ti did not support assembly on the ti-82, so it was NOT meant to be
>> >programmed, which voids all uses of "programming research" in
investigating
>> >the rom of the ti-82. in contrast, ti supported assembly on the ti-86,
so it
>> >was meant to be programmed, justifying the "programming research" claim.
>>
>> So, according to the paragraph that you have just written, you are fully
>> supporting everything that I have said.  Since "programming research" is
>> void for the investigation of the 82 ROM image, then every last assembly
>> shell, game, and program must be deleted from the TI-82 directories at
>> ticalc.org (and other major sites) or they are in serious legal trouble
>> since everything can be linked to "programming research" on the 82 ROM.
>> Yet, you also give the EXCEPTION that it is perfectly legal to distribute
>> the 86 ROM image since TI supported assembly under the legal umbrella of
>> "programming research."  So, I'm just making sure that you know that you
>> are _FOR_ 86 ROM image distribution and _AGAINST_ 82 ROM distribution
>> because of one minor thing:  internal assembly support.  You are saying
>> therefore that it is perfectly legal to distribute any TI ROM image that
>> has internal assembly support.  This excludes the TI-85 and TI-82
>> calculators only.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: