Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

an actual copy of the copyright law is at
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/
there is one exemption that mentions distribution.  that is the one for
"libraries and archives" which allows for "no more than one copy" to be
made.  it also specifies that it must include a notice of copyright.

i believe it would be legal to give someone a copy of your rom if you
deleted any copies you had and gave them your calculator as well

-josh

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:41:16 +0100 (MET) Bryan Rabeler
<brabeler@ticalc.org> writes:

>Could you provide us with a link to this so called copyright law that
>the
>Supreme Court upheld?  That way, we can all read it and judge for
>ourselves.
>
>--
>Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
>   File Archives, News, Features, and HTML
>   the ticalc.org project - http://www.ticalc.org/

>facts
>distribute it.
>> >>
>> >Right. You _can_ make a copy for personal use, but without TI's
>permission,
>> >it's illegal to distribute it for any purpose.
>>
>> How do you know that my arguments won't hold up in a court room?
>They are
>> sound arguments legally based on the national copyright law.  Only
>the
>> Supreme Court could possibly overrule "programming research" by a
>change in
>> the law.  I have proven my point in many various ways and I seem to
>have
>> come out on top every single time.  I have replied to every e-mail
>that has
>> been sent and still proven "programming research" and the
>distribution of
>> ROM images under the copyright law exception to be completely and
>utterly
>> legal.  I may have seemed redundant at times, but that was to
>emphasize my
>> point.  You have all presented very good arguments against
>"programming
>> research."  However, I wouldn't have initially replied if I hadn't
>thought
>> the whole thing through in the first place.
>>

>>                  Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
>> Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow
>programmers"
>>          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>>                     http://shinelight.home.ml.org

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]