RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A86: ROM Images (legal battle thread)

You want to "research" the TI ROM so you can do what?  Hack assembly code?
That doesn't sound like a legal reason to me.  Just wait until TI releases
the assembly information.  However, since you own a TI-82, you are out of
luck since it doesn't support assembly.

Plus, who are you to say what purposes TI ROMs are used for?  I think only
TI can say that.  If TI doesn't want their ROMs to be used for
"programming research", then you can't do it legally.  I could say I
wanted to use a video game ROM to research 3D gaming or something, but
that's still not legal.

I challenge you to e-mail ti-cares@ti.com and ask them yourself.

--
Bryan Rabeler <brabeler@ticalc.org>
   File Archives, News, Features, and HTML

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> This doesn't hold any relevance to my topic of "programming research."
> Video game ROMs are only designed for one thing:  Playing the ROMs and
> therefore can't fall under the research category.  TI ROMs have multiple
> purposes, several of which are research based (see previous messages) which
> is perfectly and utterly legal under the copyright law.
>
> However, this doesn't apply if researching.  It says in the copyright law
> that no one may distribute or copy copyrighted materials with the EXCEPTION
> of research purposes.
>
> Still I challenge:  Prove that "programming research" is illegal.
>

>                  Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
> Shining Light Productions -- "Meeting the needs of fellow programmers"
>          http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/8504
>                     http://shinelight.home.ml.org

Follow-Ups: References: