Re: A86: Compression Program

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Compression Program

Kirk Meyer wrote:

> Stephen Hicks wrote: << This leads to a possible standard...  How would
> the user have any idea what programs use what sqrt progrms?  We could
> have sqrt programs (a) have a header with the name of the program that
> uses it, or maybe (b) have a second hidden program, say maybe *KEY that
> simply holds the name...  Either way would work, the first being a
> little simpler, but the second being slightly
> faster to execute and easier to look for... >>
>
> I like the *KEY idea (and *HOME, *EXEC, *PARSE, *CMDTOK, ...)
>
> Stephen Hicks wrote: << Why?  It could get confusing if there's a
> *repton and a &repton... >>
>
> A program shouldn't have to create more than one temporary variable...

I suppose if each program only created variables with its name then it would
be ok, but if one program used *PW and another used &PW, or something like
that, it could get messy.  Keeping the char there would require less work
and I can't think of a downside.

> Stephen Hicks wrote: << Kirk Meyer wrote: << i also wonder if i should
> have an installer for (sqrt) programs that installs/uninstalls each type
> of (sqrt) program so that the programmer doesn't have to put all that
> overhead in and the user can manage their (sqrt) programs. oops... i
> guess that would mean a standard would have to be formed... never
> mind... >> Why's that? >>
>
> Why? Because no one seems willing to accept standards that TI didn't set
> for us. But I guess I will propose my standard for (sqrt)programs:
> Each (sqrt) program will be kept in a string. This string will contain a
> 2-byte identifier. Following this identifier will be a description of
> what the program does, null terminated. After the description will be
> the actual code for the program.

Hmm...  I still like the idea of a program that installs it.  I suppose you
could have something that reinstalls it from the program or something.  I
think everyone that uses sqrt programs is on this list, so everyone would
know about the standard.  What about if the propgram uses multiple
programs.  I foresee my RPN program needing several.  Maybe the installer
program could write the sqrt program, and then also write the string...
Then if you have the utility, you could delete the installer, otherwise, you
could maybe delete the string or something...?

This definitely needs some work.  Next weekend when I get some time the
first thing I'll do is put all the sqrt stuff that I know on my web page -
the proposed standard, the core elements of each, descriptions, tutorials,
etc.

--
Stephen Hicks
mailto:shicks@mindspring.com