Re: A86: Creating a COM port

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Creating a COM port

> My friend is having trouble creating a com port.  Well he's not acutally
> having trouble making one, he doesn't know how and I don't know either.
>
> He just bought his graph link a couple of days ago, and hooked it up and
> everything.  But he can't get his link to work since he doesn't have a FREE
> COM PORT.  He has his mouse on COM1 and his modem on COM2.  He has an >
extra
> connector on the back, but he only has 2 com ports?  How do you create
another
> COM3 on Windows 95?  Does the graphlink work with COM3?

Is the connector the same size as the other ports? Is it's name marked
on the panel? Windows 95 supports plug-and-play. Theoretically, if it's
there and working, Windows should detect it and configure it correctly
without even prompting you. If not, you might be screwed. First, try
going to control panel and to "add new hardware". See if it detects it.
If not, try adding it manually and restarting. If that doesn't work, go to
"System" (in control panel), then the "Device manager" tab, then
COM and LPT ports. Double-click on one of the ports. Go to
"Resources" and try chnaging the basic configuration to some other
number that does not conflict with anything. Restart your computer.
This will reassign your COM port a different number. Hopefully 3.

I know what I am telling you to do, but I don't know whether or not
it will help you. If you did not understand any of it, don't even try it. If
you accidentally changed something and suddenly made a conflict
with your CPU or something, you would be screwed and I would
deny responsibility.