Re: A86: Terms

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Terms

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Trey Jazz wrote:

> hooking into refers to anything that changes the normal operation of the
> system. so the user fonts, the interupts, the tokenizing are all hooks. tsr
> are user defined interupts (i suppose you could call the other interupts
> tsr's too). the font is just a table that bypasses the other font table if
> the flag is set to look up the font in your table first before it looks it
> up in the regular font table. the addons you are talking about (you mean
> special functions,etc?) are installed into memory but can be overwritten
> easily if another program thats installing doesnt check them. only one user
> defined interupt can be there at one time (that is unless someone makes a
> program that checks the user defined interupt, turns the flag off that makes
> the interupt work, then puts their interupt into the memory starting right
> on the ret of the other interupt...then you could have more than one
> interupt installed but they might conflict). dan eble discovered the font
> hook. im not sure who actually discovered the interupts and tokenizing (i
> think dux? sorry to the real founder(s) if im wrong). TI doesnt really give
> out much information on hooking, etc. until most of it has been found out.
> (actually i think TI is just seeing exactly how much everyone can find out
> about their system on our own for some reason...ppl will go crazy with the
> 89s flashrom [especially eble] :) im not sure if there are any docs on them
> (at least not by TI) but you might want to check ppls web pages on here and
> ticalc, tiphiles, etc.

Ok, here is what I am gathering so far. There are several types of
TSRs/hooks/patches (patches seems like the better term to me).  As best I
can tell, they should be categorized by the conditions on which they are
called.  Here are the ones I've seen mentioned.  Let me know if there are
any others that have been discovered as of yet or if I used an incorrect
name.

    font hook ................ when characters get printed
    ON hook .................. when the calculator goes on
    OFF hook ................. when the calculator goes off
    slink hook ............... upon recieving a SLP request
    user defined interrupt ... (about) every 200th of a second
    [sqrt] KEY ............... when a key is pressed
    [sqrt] others ............ when parsing, tokenizing, etc.

So let me get this straight.  None of these are hacks someone has made.
Every one of these hooks has its own special space and an enabling flag
put there by TI for assembly purposes.  Yet no official information was
provided concerning these patch-able areas.

Another question is where do ASAPs fit in to all this?  I will make a guess.
I think they are only for menus and for customizations which require tokens
(i.e. add-on commands/functions).  So do add-ons (menus and functions) have
their own set apart area in memory or do you just put them wherever?

Ok, that is enough questions for now.

Nathan Linger