Re: A86: Terms

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Terms

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Trey Jazz wrote:

> >Please, I'm very fragile.  That reply didn't make any sense to me.  What
> >does an assembly program do to "hook into" an interrupt?  Does it just call
> >the interrupt?  Does it have a interrupt call it?
>
> hehe fragile? hmmm.. the 'hook into' means that it kinda becomes part of the
> operation of the cpu. it treats a usermade interupt like a regular interupt
> and calls it whenever the circumstances occur. like a font hook is called
> everytime there is a need to put a character on the screen. and a regular
> user interupt is used every 200th of a second just like the regular
> interupts in the z80. asm programs dont call to the interupt, they only
> install one and then the interupt is on its own. its just a small program
> with some restrictions.

So the term "hooking into" refers to a User Defined Interrupt (also known
as a TSR) becoming an active interrupt in the system?  If this is the
case, why are there two terms for it.  TSR is a misleading (inaccurate)
term if I understand things correctly.

So is this "font hook" another User Defined Interrupt?  Is it just loaded
somewhere special.  If so, how many such "special" spots are there for
putting User Defined Interrupts or other such add-ons?  Has TI outlined
all such spots for us in some document somewhere?  If not, why not?

Nathan