Re: A86: Personal Intro & Questions (fwd)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Personal Intro & Questions (fwd)

> > There are 8 of these sqrt programs: PARSE, CMDTOK, KEY, EXPR, EXEC,
> > HOME, FORM, GRF.  The calc loads the name into op1 (rst 20h) and looks
> > it up in the variable allocation table (rst 10h) to see if it exists and
> > to get the program's location if it does.
> > Not a whole lot is known about these programs.
>
> So far, we've made a lot of progress with KEY, some with HOME and EXPR, and I'm
> still searching for stuff about PARSE (and that feature I mentioned earlier about
> the emulator would be really nice for this... does anyone have the email address of
> TI86EMU's author?)

It's probably on his web page (part of 86 Central)

> Pat's EOS doc explains this (albeit cryptically).  I believe I have finally figured
> out all there is to know about the parameters, but I've yet to test it...  (too
> lazy and WAY too much work and studying to do!)

You were wrong about the variables being copied to "$" whatever it is.
The variable name ("$",xx is treated as a variable that contains string
and equation parameters) is in op1 and is somehow looped over (maybe
Pat's eos loop?).  That's why when you type 4 parameters into an empty
function, it only returns the last one as the result.  If you happen to
know the variable name (like if it's "$"), then you can look it up in
the VAT, but this, however, doen't allow for you to use variables and
strings interchangeably.  You should be able to read from op1 and not
have to copy data there.

If you've got an explantion of Pat's doc I'd sure like to see it!  :-)
What does he mean by some of the things like "display conversion tokens"
and "eos loop"?

> > > *** User Defined Types ***
> > >   Has anyone implemented their own variable types?  I would like to create
> > >   an arbitrary precision integer type (an integer that grows to sizes only
> > >   limited by available memory).  I saw that there were several "internal
> > >   use only" type bytes.  Does anyone know if assembly programmers can use
> > >   these for their own types?
> >
> > I don't think so.  If it's possible, no one has found out about it.
>
> You could easily define vars of your own types.  However, you'd have a hard time
> accessing them because they don't show up in any menus, etc.  You could, however,
> make a program that either hacks a menu and adds a "customtype|names" menu
> somewhere (mem|delete, custom menu, etc...)  however, you'd have to overload all
> the built-in tokens and that wouldn't be fun at all!

How would you get the calc to recognize a new type in the VAT?

> > _FPS = floating point stack  This is just a stack where you can store
> > the op registers using calls to push and pop  (rst 18h = push op1).
>
> Is there a rst to pop it?

No, you need to use a call.

Follow-Ups: References: