Re: A86: thoughts about the 89 test legality...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: thoughts about the 89 test legality...

HP48's have symbolic manipulation, etc, as well, and are allowed on the tests.
In actuallity, in terms of SAT's and ACT's, they really wouldn't help too much,
if at all, because they are meant to be able to be taken without a calculator
at all.  In terms of AP exams, especially AP Calc, they still shouldn't be a
problem.  Imagine it asks you to find the indefinite integral of dx/(x^2-4),
where u-substitution doesn't work.  The work that must be done to work this is
huge (requiring partial fractions and lots of work, that no normal human could
do in his head), and the 89 would just give you the answer.  AP exams like you
to show your work, so they would not give full credit.

--
Stephen Hicks
mailto:shicks@mindspring.com