Re: A86: new news to some old news to others

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ekauq wrote:

> one thing i would love to know is if there is a way to remove the original
> programming of the ti-86 and overwrite it with a completely new os, change the
> ti-86 completely, since what we all use is an os in the first place.  the only
> way i could see that you can't take it off is if the os is written in rom and
> protected (which is probably true).
>
> but the question remains, did ti use all of the rom calls, or just the ones
> that it wanted to for the 86.

Presumably TI used all the ROM calls.  It would be silly of them to
*write* this code and then not use it.  As far as removing it, the ROM
calls are, naturally, in ROM and are therefore there to stay.  If you
really want to dump all that stuff, I'd suggest getting some kits
together and building yourself your own computer.

And don't say it can't be done; remember the Apple I was a garage-based
hack, before the days of highly integrated CPUs.  (Zilog sells Z80's
with serial ports and parallel ports built in, for instance).