A86: Poor poor Windows users... :)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Poor poor Windows users... :)

Why in the hell has Windoze 98 become such a long thread on a calculator
list?  It's just more bloated and poorly written software from the giant
monopoly in Redmond.  150 goddamn megs.  For an "operating system" that
uses an old and outdated filesystem (FAT) and still calls DOS system
functions (GetPSP, SetPSP, date/time functions -- so it still relies on
DOS as its core).  And it isn't even totally 32-bit either!

Computer users deserve better but are too stupid to demand it.  You
should be able to tell your computer what to do instead of it telling
YOU what it can do.  Given more time to continue at their current pace,
Microsoft will soon make it nearly impossible to be running a modern
computer with anything but Windows software.  Can we say WinModems and
WinPrinters (these are modems and printers that rely on DLL's to emulate
microcontrollers and such normally found on the hardware.  In effect, it
cuts away from your CPU to do these sorts of things.)?  I shudder to
think of WinVideoCards and WinSoundCards.

And this DOJ case isn't going to do shit to Microsoft.  They're focusing
on the web browser.  They NEED to focus on Microsoft's unfair business
practices with OEMs.  However, I can see the point they're making about
bundling the web browser with the "operating system".  Microsoft is
playing on the average computer user's stupidity and laziness when they
bundle it.  "Why should I download something if Microsoft gives it to me
for free?"

And that damn IE 4 browser is slowly ruining internet standards.
Already there's tons of IE-specific web sites using non-standard HTML
extensions.  Sure, Microsoft is all for standardization -- as long as
it's THEIR standards.

So what's the solution?  A free operating system such as Linux or
FreeBSD.  They are the products of open collaboration with developers
all over the world to produce a cutting-edge operating system.  FreeBSD
is light years ahead of Windows NT in terms of features, stability, and
hardware required to run.  Same with Linux.  Both allow access to nearly
any filesystem under the sun (including FAT32, Microsoft's laughable
attempt at making FAT actually work with large hard drives).  Both are
truly 32-bit and support TRUE pre-emptive multitasking (which Windows
does not do well).  Neither have that stupid "Y2K" problem (which
Microsoft is trying to capitalize on with their Y2K patches).  And, you
may crash the machine once every few months or so (as opposed to having
to reboot 4 to 5 times a day in Windows).

Linux is rapidly gaining ground.  In 1997, it was the only non-Microsoft
OS that gained any market share.  The current user base is estimated at
10 million.  You can run nearly all your DOS software with DOSemu (at
nearly full speed too) for Linux.  You can run most Windows 3.x software
and some Windows 95 software with WINE or WABI.

Sure, if all you do is play games, go play with a toy OS.  If you want
to actually DO things with your computer, use a REAL OS.

Sorry if I rambled on, but I have to point these things out sometimes...
:).