Re: A86: Re: copyrights

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: copyrights

Jeremy Goetsch wrote:

> Copyright laws are not like patents or trademarks, which must be registered
> with an authority. Any original intellectual property created by someone is
> automatically their copyright (whether there is a notice or not). In theory,
> to use someone else's code, they must give their express, written consent.
> In reality, however, most people don't really care about code that isn't
> making them any profit and for which the source is made publicly available.
> And most of the routines that people include in their programs were created
> specifically for the general public to use.
>
> As for copyrighting software that includes these routines, I would just be
> sure to give credit to the author somewhere in the program or readme file.
>

> >I was wondering if there were any policies on copyrighting any software
> >that you create with regard to any unoriginal code included in your
> >program?  I noticed that some people have "copyrighted" their programs.
> >Don't you have to do anything special to get a copyright or do you just
> >claim it?  If you used a sprite routine that someone else wrote then
> >would it be legit to copyright your program?

Not exactly.  I've studied copyrights in my assembly of a hymnal.  For more information,
decipher the copyright office's web page.  Any computer program is able to be
copyrighted as soon as it is saved on a tangible medium.  However, it is not copyrighted
without such notice ie. "© 19xx (Your name here). All Rights Reserved".  "All Rights
Reserved" is only needed if your code is going international.  If you want your
copyright to stand in court, register it with the copyright office ($20 fee). All of the
preceding info applies only in the US.

Tercero's brother.
--
Tercero	 --  Email: mailto:tercero@busprod.com

"The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;"
			--Psalms 118:22
"Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces,
but he on whom it falls will be crushed."
			--Luke 20:18