Re: A86: Edit lock

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Edit lock

> Umm.. I think you're all wrong but no offence.  It doesn't change the
> program type.. All basic programs start with a two byte size and then
> a null byte ($00). After that comes the actual text. If you want it
> to be locked, just add a second null byte after the first..

I find that extremely amusing. Have you actually ever edit-locked
something by hand? I have both locked and unlocked with calc-
based hex editors many times. It's $FF for the memory error and
another variable type for compiled asm. The truth is, I don't
remember what it was for graphink-locked basic, but I used to
know and I have taken off those locks before. I can assure you
that a null character at the beginning will do nothing but return
a syntax error. Placing a null character at the beginning will
actually confuse the tokenization routines. When you reopen
the program, you will find at least the first line (maybe more)
completely corrupted with tokens/random detokenization
errors. I HAVE ACTUALLY DONE IT about 6 months ago.
That's how I originally mapped out all of the 85 basic tokens.