Re: A86: Shell Development Question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TurboSoft@aol.com wrote:

> You're really making a new shell for the 86?  Good.

Yep.  Although it will take a little while since I'm still learning
ASM.

> When making your emulation part of it, try to start with that of
> Rascall.  l
> hear that it emulates at least as many programs as ASE does, and it
> includes a
> method of escaping if the program locks up.

I will probably not emulate the TI-82, since hardly anyone ever uses any
of its programs on the 86.  I doubt I'll incorporate a feature that will
allow programs that are more than 12k to run, since it would be quite a
hassle.  The ON key will act in much the same way with my shell as it
does with Rascall--it will bring up a menu that allows you to end the
program, turn off the calculator, and get a screen shot.  Contrast
adjustment will also be included in this menu.  I may also add a feature
to turn off the display, but that may not save much power anyway.

> Include similar password protection as that of ASE.

Already planned.

> Try to make something that will do things like...
> if the ON button is pressed, it will turn the contrast all the way
> down or
> turn off the calculator, but when it is pressed again, whatever you
> were doing
> would be restored (such as when solving equations for Algebra and you
> have to
> write the equation and stuff down for a few minutes between using the
> calculator) to save power possibly.

May be part of the ON menu (called the System menu).

> Keeping the memory from being reset from the MEM menu.  Toggle this
> option on
> or off inside the shell.

Also planned.

> Also try to have it be able to delete/rename programs and to rename
> groups.

Also planned.

> l think that one of the coolest designs would be to have it look sort
> of like
> a rolodex from a side view, like having a 3dimensional view of part of
> the
> rings that keeps it together and "pages" with your programs, and to
> have
> "tabs" on the right that you can use certain buttons to select.

Adding such a complex interface would more than likely cause the shell
to be rather large.  I'll look into it though.

***I still need information about TI-85 emulation (anyone who has it!).

-Jeremy