A86: Re: Ports

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Ports

The ports are a way for the processor to interface with hardware.  They are
about the only way besides memory mapped i/o devices (like the screen, you
access it by writting data to video memory, $fc00).

The first reference for the ports is 86ports.txt by Alan Bailey.  You can
get this from ticalc.org:
http://www.ticalc.org/pub/text/calcinfo/86ports.txt

Summary (from file):
    port 0 - Screen Offset, WRITE ONLY
    port 1 - Keypad
    port 2 - Contrast, WRITE ONLY
    port 3 - ON Status, LCD Power
    port 4 - Power Mode
    port 5 - Page change at $4000-$7FFF
    port 6 - Page change at $8000-$BFFF
    port 7 - Link Port

This information is also restated in the Assembly Studio 86 help file under
(amazing, I know) "ports".  However, it doesn't include info on port 7, the
link port.  If you want to know how to control devices or head phones with
it, check out the 86 Central section on it.

If you just want to send bytes for a link game like ZTetris, ZPong or Insane
Game, I would suggest using the link routines I posted a while ago (with the
Outlaw game demo).  They are very close to the ZTetris routines, which are
based on Pascal Bouron's original routines.  ZPong was Bouron's demo for
link routines, and Martin Hock's Insane Game also used those link routines.
I haven't tried Randy Gluvna's routines that are posted at 86 Central (in
the linkport section), but they don't look as good as the other one's.  I'll
try them sometime and let everyone know.  If anyone knows, please tell me.
Another source of link routines is the source to Matthew Shepcar's Vertigo.
Those link routines use the one's built into the ROM.  I wasn't able to make
them work, but I know that was just me (which is why I modified the ZTetris
routines -- link86.asm).

Good luck, I'd love to see some more link games!

--
David Phillips <electrum@tfs.net>
ICQ: 13811951