RE: A86: linking w/ the 82

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A86: linking w/ the 82

Yeah, it's rather simple.

All calculators have compatible linkports.  Before I hear anyone mention
that you can't send variables between different models, I'm going to tell
you right now: THIS DOESN'T MATTER!  Why not?

The built-in link routines, including silent link, uses the internal ROM
routines, which use a proprietary protocol.

The answer, of course, is not to use this protocol (which would be large
and, I have been told, unwieldy).  This is how ZTetris works on all five
calculators for which a port exists, and this is also how Vertigo works.

Now, if you WANT to use the official protocol, which would be an ideal
solution if you feel like making a program that sends data to different
models (and I almost want to do this!), then you will need the protocol
specs, written by dedicated hackers!  :)  You'll have to get them from
ticalc.org at http://www.ticalc.org/pub/ text or info, I forget.  The TI-86
protocol (which I was most concerned with when I researched it) is
especially well documented.  The TI-85/92 protocol is also nicely done.  I
believe that the same protocol engine will work between calcs, you must
change the ID byte to work with each individual model, but this is a mere
trifle.

Nathan
-----
Stuntman (Nathan Haines) - ICQ UIN#: 2157863
http://table.jps.net/~stuntman/nathan.html
QuickBASIC/Visual BASIC/TI-BASIC programmer (just your basic programmer)
President of Stuntworks - http://www.jps.net/stuntman/