Re: A86: pt

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: pt

>   Yes, I'm from Portugal. Why do you call it 'romance language'?
>   That got me curious now. I always though french was the romance
>   language...
>   Portugues is a bit similar to spanish, we say "a calculadora"
>   ("the calculator") and yes, most 'female' words end in 'a'.

Romance language means any of the languages based on latin, which was
the language of the Romans, which is where the 'roman' in 'romance'
comes from.  Latin, Spanish, and Portuguese are romance languages, while
French is also but half of the French language comes from the Germanic
peoples. Then you have English, which is made up of just about every
language in the world...

Follow-Ups: References: