Re: A86: Asm-86 12k cap

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Asm-86 12k cap

>Can a RAM page be put out port 5?  I know that a ROM page can be put out
port 6.

According to Alan Bailey 86ports.txt, you can.

Port 5 - Page change at $4000 - $7FFF
Port 6 - Page change at $8000 - $BFFF

And you can load ram pages in both!

It the ram pages are the same, then $4000 would also be mapped as $8000 and
if you modified $4000, it would modify $8000 (which are the same web page
anyway)

But who cares about that. You could have linear memory basically, with Page
1 at $4000 and have 12k to play with and another page at $8000. What other
page of memory do we have to play with? Ram Page 2? You would have to have
another program written asm full of junk taking up around 16K (if thats
legal, it wont be going into ram Page 0 though, so why not?). Then you would
have to copy 16K from Ram Page 2, use _FINDSYM and bunch of abs addresses to
temporarily store it in the asm file, and then the ram would be free (I
guess?) and just copy that 16K from the asm program that was took off of Ram
Page 2 and put it back... If you starting $8000 though you are already
killing the floating point stack, I dont see why temporarily moving the
operator stack would hurt anything. Unless one of the interrupt programs use
the operator stack.. Disable interrupts!

-Matt
http://www.dogtech.com/cybop/ti86/