A86: Re: Couple of questions...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Couple of questions...

Sorry for the ambiguity, by "shut down" I meant "terminate and NOT stay
resident, or exit normally", not lock up the calc.
---
Andy Johnson
"Change is inevitable...
     except from vending machines"

On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 00:21:35 -0500 Dux Gregis <assets@eden.rutgers.edu>
writes:

>> Actually all virii are not TSRs, some simply attach their code to
>> programs, and whenever the program is run they spread, then shut
>down.
>> This wouldn't be hard at all on an 86, especially since ti included
>so
>> much stuff for asm programmers.  (Though for some reason won't tell
>us
>> about it.  Maybe ti's reluctance to provide information is to
>prevent
>> somebody from making a ti-virus, and to prevent some paranoid people
>from
>> buying HPs instead, though I doubt it).
>
>Superstitious, eh?  Well don't worry, TI was reluctant to put a keypad
>on the
>86, but fortunately clear thinking prevailed.
>

>My bit about viri:  it would be possible to put the virus on
>somebody's calc
>when any program is sent, not just when the program that originated
>the virus
>was sent.  If this were the case, it would be almost impossible to
>track down
>the program from which the virus originated, especially if the virus
>is well
>designed, not showing up until a few days or weeks after the calc
>contracted
>it... a little malevolent, but certainly very fascinating.  Btw, you
>wouldn't
>want to make a virus that "shuts down" the calc--that would be to
>easy.
>Maybe something like disabling the parser?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]