GUI Ideas (Re: A86: Idea for shell/loader standards...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 04:05 AM 9/17/97 EDT, n X t wrote:
>i also have another comment for a 'better' shell.. i have shared this
>with ppl on irc.
>the Shell should be divided by two things, ASM programs and BASIC
>programs. ie.. PRESS F1 to list all ASM programs..   F2 for all Basic
>programs.. etc.. and they should be alphabetized.. if it is possible.
>
>and there should be a standard as to how to put the title for the asm
>program.. ie only pacman and like one other program shows the "title"
>(PacMan 98 v.blahblah) in ASHELL... some kind of standard should be made.

Well, I have a similar idea that I think would be even nicer (I am going to
have this all posted to my site once I write the html for it).

It is a GUI.  The f* menu buttons choose a seperate desktop for each (not:
this would be GREAT for ppl with expanders/extenders, having a "shortcut"
to the program on the expander).  It could be set up to look like this
(please excuse the shitty ASCII, and anyone for whom this doesnt show up
right):

 ----------------
| ***  ***  ***  |     *** = icons
| ***  ***  ***  |
| ***  ***  ***  |
|----------------|
| f1-f2-f3-f4-f5 |

F1
--
Now, the menu should ALWAYS have f1 be the main, which controls the setup
(I like everything customizable).  The controls could be icons, the choices

Add/Remove - for addition and removal of "shortcuts" (forgive me if i use
win95 terminology, but I think it to be better shown as Win95-type than
that of XFree).  This area defines the desktop that it goes in, the
position ON the desktop, and the name given to the shortcut

Backgrounds - There could be seperate backgrounds for each desktop,
configurable here.

External Devices - Should a method be found to control devices using the
calc, it would be nice to have it all in one area.

Power Down - needs no explanation

Exit - needs no explanation

There probably more for this, nothing comes to mind though.

F2, F3, F4 = Menus

F5 could be a power down or exit button.

The use of the more key would be a necessity for more than 3 configurable
desktops.

|         Joseph M. Gaffney - gaffney@thethinker.com         |
|           "Tiocfaidh Ár Lá" / "Our Day Will Come"          |
|  "If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Off My Face"  |
|                   The Creative Outlet                      |
|       http://www.thethinker.com/members/gaffney/           |