Re: A86: 3-color icons?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: 3-color icons?

Steve86Asm@aol.com wrote:

> >  It would be useful for many games and graphical interfaces to be
> able to
> >  detect collisions between sprites/icons.  Having a transparency
> mask would
> >  be good for that.
> >

> I don't see why...

well this is simple...  lets say this is your sprite:
00000000
01111110
01000010
01000010
01000010
00100010
00010100
00001000

it's an ugly sprite but a sprite...
Lets say this sprite is a .. spaceship..  we want to see if a bullet has
hit it!
if we just treat the 1's as where the spaceship is, they we've made a
"hollow" spaceship.  our code may not detect a hit if the bullet landed
"inside" the lines.  However if a transperency mask was like this:
00000000
01111110
01111110
01111110
01111110
00111110
00011100
00001000

we could easily tell if the spaceship was hit.  That way we get the
benfit of having Black and White pixels drawing the Spaceship AND a
trancparent color where the spaceship does not exist...  hope that helps
a little.

--
Trent Lillehaugen
Computer Engineering Major