Re: A86: 3-color icons?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: 3-color icons?

On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Ricci Adams wrote:

>    Can the screen on an 86 actually support 3 colors? Or are you going to
> draw pixel then erase it over and
> over again to make it appear gray?

That's right.  The idea is to have two separate LCD buffers and switch
between them rapidly.  If a pixel is on in both buffers, it will appear
black, but if only one is on, it will appear grey.

Actually, we could have 4 colors by weighting the times that each buffer
is displayed.  One buffer would show 1/3 of the time, and one 2/3.  That
would make transparent icons more complicated, but it would probably be
worth it for the additional color.

I suppose we could allow for 3 buffers, but that would use a good chunk of
memory and complicate (slow down) graphics.  Besides, more than 4 colors
might not be easily distinguishable from each other.

--------
Dan Eble (mailto:eble@cis.ohio-state.edu)
         (http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~eble)