Re: A86: Please read this!!! New shell!!! I need help!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 11:45 PM 9/3/97 -0700, Jimmy Mårdell wrote:
>Yes, a standard must be created AND there is already a proposal on how
>the standard will look like. I don't have the URL to that location
>at the moment though.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~eble/standard.html I THINK.  Go to the main
page  to make sure.

>> MODULES PENDING CREATION (Explained in detail in reply mail)
>> -ICONS, 4-6 LETTER CAPTION
>> -BACKGROUND PIC, MAYBE GRAYSCALE
>> -VARIABLE-SPEED MOUSE, 8 DIRECTIONS, 2ND=LEFT CLICK, ALPHA=RIGHT CLICK
>> -START BUTTON
>> -APD
>> -PASSWORD PROTECTION
>> -STARTUP AND SHUTDOWN PROGRAMS
>> -BUILT-IN ICON EDITOR

Blech, that'd be too Windows 95 like, unless of course it were styled in a
XFree86 type interface.

>Umm... all these features are VERY unnecessary since, as you said, Asm(
>would execute a program just as fine. These features could be
>implemented
>in a SHELL, NOT the OS that loads the programs.

BTW, it would be a GUI, and not a shell.  Plus, ASM( can get quite annoying
=).  Actually, I like my method of a shell.  Perhaps this person would be
interested in my designs.   If you read my other email, you would have
noticed I asked for his designs for comparisons (and to see just how much
he expects of the 6mhz z80 chip)

>> -ACCELERATED BASIC
>
>Eh... making your own basic interpretor? Would would theoretically,
>although I
>doubt you can make it much faster than TI:s

Unless of course he designed a program that could compile the TI-Basic into
uneditable ASM, which would make it faster with the same results as HAL
(combined bad and good; loads of documentation for the basic, but making a
library that had ASM counterparts to the TI-Basic would be extensive, plus
there isn't any official documentation on 86 ASM.)

|         Joseph M. Gaffney - gaffney@thethinker.com         |
|           "Tiocfaidh Ár Lá" / "Our Day Will Come"          |
|  "If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Off My Face"  |
|                   The Creative Outlet                      |
|       http://www.thethinker.com/members/gaffney/           |