Re: A86: Please read this!!! New shell!!! I need help!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

KewlAid wrote:

>     Here is the proposal. We must create a shell to act as the
> standard, to be useful in its existence.

Yes, a standard must be created AND there is already a proposal on how
the standard will look like. I don't have the URL to that location
at the moment though.

> MODULES PENDING CREATION (Explained in detail in reply mail)
> -ICONS, 4-6 LETTER CAPTION
> -BACKGROUND PIC, MAYBE GRAYSCALE
> -VARIABLE-SPEED MOUSE, 8 DIRECTIONS, 2ND=LEFT CLICK, ALPHA=RIGHT CLICK
> -START BUTTON
> -APD
> -PASSWORD PROTECTION
> -STARTUP AND SHUTDOWN PROGRAMS
> -BUILT-IN ICON EDITOR

Umm... all these features are VERY unnecessary since, as you said, Asm(
would execute a program just as fine. These features could be
implemented
in a SHELL, NOT the OS that loads the programs.

> **THE FOLLOWING MODULES ARE EXPERIMENTAL**
> -TASKS TRAY (works with multitasking)
> -MULTITASKING
> -TI-82, 83, AND 85 ASM SUPPORT

And all these suggestions makes me think you have very limited asm
knowledge.
Multitasking!? Completely out of questions. It _could_ work, if the
programs
that would be supported got VERY restricted. And sacrificing that for
something
so unnecessary as multitasking is not that clever imho.

And TI-82&83 asm support... you could maybe EMULATE it, if you don't
mind the
games going 20 times slower. Since those calcs uses an external device
to access
graphics (and uses a port which isn't used on the 86), it would be
impossible
to support that. As for 85 support - IT CAN'T BE DONE! If someone made a
super-AI
program that scans through a program and detects all calls to the ROM
and exchanges
those with the correct rom calls for the 86, you have a start. And you
also have
to change all RAM address... and how on earth are you going to run a
program
that's bigger than 10k (or 16k to make it extremly hard)!? A suggestion:
before
posting "possible features" like this - think it through yourself. Since
you want

> -DYNAMIC LIBRARIES, APPENDS TO SHELL

At least something that's a good suggestion AND it's in the proposed
standard
as well.

> -ACCELERATED BASIC

Eh... making your own basic interpretor? Would would theoretically,
although I
doubt you can make it much faster than TI:s

> -BUILT-IN LINKPORT SOFTWARE

Would most likely be in a library.

--
Jimmy Mårdell                "The nice thing about standards is that
mailto:mja@algonet.se         there are so many of them to choose from."

Follow-Ups: References: