Re: A86: universal calc issues

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: universal calc issues

<< I'm working on XCalc, an OS to run the entire link-enabled TI8x series.
 It will include a universal code system that will eliminate the need for
recompilation of binaries for each calc, and will hopefully be a bit smaller
than usgard.  I need recommendations as to what users want, and you guys
represent the largest pool of calc-savvy people.  Any recommendations will be
taken quite seriously.
 	The bytecode issue involves using only z80 opcodes and library calls, and
we might toss in program relocation in order to facilitate the system.  To
top it all off, I would like to include an X*nder psuedo-loader with some
level of intelligence.
 	I've already established that ROM calls will be used, but only through a
library, and the screen size issue should be handled soon.
 	Before you all laugh, there are 4 of us working on this, so it might be
do-able. >>

After I learned some assembly, I was planning on working on a graphical OS
that can run TI-85 strings, at least, and possibly something that would run
82/83 programs, and I had a bunch of other stuff planned (most of which was
laughed at by Steve). Another idea I had, which you can use, is that you can
put a basic program or a group of basic programs in a folder, and they would
use their own variables that wouldn't be shared with the other basic
programs, to prevent conflict. Also, I thought that the variables could be
stored in one large file, so the TI doesn't have to check the entire RAM to
find variables, therefore speeding up operation. Does this seem feasable?

KUPO

"Math teachers think that they are teaching useful, important math skills by
teaching students the quadratic equasion and making them solve it 50
gazillion times, thinking it is a complex formula that will teach kids how to
think. Obviously, they haven't tried assembly programming."