Re: A86: New game idea

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: New game idea

>Ah Rogue!  I myself had this idea no more than a week or two ago.  I'm
>fairly good at ASM, but I've yet to actually pursue this project.  The
>biggest problems I think are finding out all the weapons, shields,
>potions, monsters, etc. and (for me) figuring out how to keep the level
>as small as possible.  The way I figured it, the levels were something
>like 80x22 (size of the PC screen - 2 lines for information), which, if
>you were to use 1 byte of data for each (row, column) of the level
>"matrix" it would be in the neighborhood of 1760 bytes.  Compression
>would be optimal, but since the levels are randomly generated this would
>be useless.  I've never had much experience in doing things like messing
>around with data in ASM so I'm not very good at it... although I must
>say Rogue would be great.  Everyone wants a RPG for the 8x, and what
>better than Rogue?  It's infinetly replayable.

Yea, a good Rogue on the calculator would just be amazing.. Lits of
all the weapons/armors/all other items can be obtained, at least for
NetHack, from various spoilers pages.. Also, there's a spolier out
there somewhere explaining the dungeon creation method of Nethack.

>PS - Another problem... creating graphics for each of the PC's extended
>characters to mimic what Rogue on the PC looks like.  Not to mention
>keeping the size of the characters as small as possible.  The screen
>would also probably have to be scrolled too.  But all in all, I'd have
>to say he who makes Rogue for the 86 will be revered ever more :).

Yes.. Also, part of the distinguishing between characters comes from
the characters being different colors.. I supposr adding grayscale to
the project would just make it all the harder, so.. Hmm..

Well, if it was played using oh.. Graph fonts, I think a majority of
the character sybols would already be there, w/o having to make new
ones.  But there IS that color isue..

Anyways, yes, I would revere a Rogue creator right along with you. :)
I'd offer any help I might be able to give as far as the gaming system
is concerned. Like I said, I'm not much of an ASM programmer though.

Rolf