A86: Use _getkey!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Use _getkey!!

Just a couple of hints on checking keys...   It would be nice if more
people used _getkey.   It puts the calculator into low power mode and so is
much kinder to your batteries.   There are a couple of problems to be
worked around with this though..  on low batteries _getkey can cause the
contrast to fade slightly but to compensate for this you should use a
different contrast setting for full power operations.   I use this
technique in Repton.   The amount to add to the contrast during full power
operations is remembered by the program and there are separate in-game
contrast controls using the + and - keys.   I use _getkey in high score and
password input as well as on the pause and map screens.   The main reason
people shy away from using _getkey is because of the autorepeat delays.
To get around these all you need to do is stuff 1 into ($C003) every time
an arrow key (or whatever) is pressed.   This is exactly what I'm doing in
the map screen of Repton 0.91.   It is much more efficient on batteries and
works just as well as GET_KEY (aka _getky) with the added benefit of
contrast control with the usual 2ND + Up/Down keys.  Just thought I'd say
that because I've used up my second set of batteries this month. :)

Matthew Shepcar
scabby@warzone.com

IRC: SCaBBy
ICQ: 1553355