Re: A86: permanent effects

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: permanent effects

I fail to see how taking measurements can do anything...  But ever since Archimedes it has been known that pi is irrational (except in the early to mid 1900's in a
certain state where a law was passed making pi=3), and the definition of that is that it doesn't end.  In fact, using the very geometric proof Archimedes did (but
with more modern notation and in degrees),

pi=limit as n->infinity of n*sin(180/n)=limit as n->infinity of n*tan(180/n)

sin and tan are both transcendental functions, so except for a small (infinite) number of values, they are irrational.  A number infinitely close to 0 is not one of
those values, making pi irrational, and thus it does not end...

Hopefully this clears it up for those in doubt that pi does not end.

--
Stephen Hicks
mailto:shicks@mindspring.com