Re: A86: TI-86, is asm programming comparable to the TI-85?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 11:21 PM 8/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does the ROM calls on the TI-85 apply to the TI-86? I am reading Zshell
>lessons and am going to try to learn how

the ROM_CALL()'s from zshell days aren't used any more.  The routines still
exist somewhere in the ROM, it's just that we don't know where some of them
are and TI has not told us.  Some of them are avaible using Asm86 2.0,
which I added for convenience.  Also, some of them just changed names:

	ROM_CALL(D_ZM_STR)    became...
	call _puts

>to program ASM on the TI-86 (my calculator), using asm86 as a guide for the
>location of the ROM calls or whatever.
>I figured, of course, that all the Z-80 stuff would be the same such as
>registers, opcodes, etc, so the only thing
>that could really change is the location of interrupts (or ROM calls or
>whatever it is called on the Z80).. Are the
>ROM routines the same between the TI-86 and TI-85..

The ROM routines are in different places, but most likely they are the same
code.  Just wait until TI releases info on the rest of them

> If that is so, it wouldn't really be hard to convert between a Zshell TI-85
>program to a TI-86 program if you have
>the source - well all you would really need to do is change the structure of
>the asm file.. what else would you need
>to know?

If you're doing this manually, it's really not that hard.  It's already
been done with Tron, ZTetris, and probably some more in the making.  The
things you will have to check are calls, IY stuff, system variable
addresses and other sorts of addresses.

Then comes more complicated stuff, like VAT functions, interrupts, rom and
ram pages, ports, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.  Large segments of
code would have to be changed for those things.

>Does anyone know when Texas Instruments is giving out the documentation on
>the TI-86 with asm programming?

Nope...

>It has been in the stores for two months, but it was created over half a
>year ago.. How long will it take?

Question of the year ;)

We're all waiting...

 Alan Bailey            mailto:bailela@charlie.cns.iit.edu