Re: A86: AShell

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: AShell

> But now those programs won't save the high scores if invoked via Asm() or
> a different shell.

I thought about this a lot.  Hopefully other shells will pick this
feature up.  Since all current progs work with it, I find no fault in
using it as long as future progs make note of it.  When playing games,
most people would rather use a shell than the Asm( command.  But the
Asm( command could still be used to make things easier during program
development.

> Ugh!  It's only a standard if we all do the same thing, and our plans were
> far from finished!  Remember your woes about the Penguins level format?

Well, its set up so that it can be expanded upon, so there's really no
problem.  The one I used is version #0.  This could be #1:

 nop
 jp Start
 .dw $0001
 .dw Title
 .dw PointerToIcon
Start:

Version #0 is not the part that needs discussion, we need to talk about
how it will be expanded upon to allow shells to easily pickup extra
features.

As for Penguins, here is what I'm going to do:
AShell will not detect ZPWLDXXX
When I finish Mario Land,
Worlds will use Adam's idea:
  ret
  .dw MagicNumber
so they cant be called by Asm( and be easily detected
and hidden by shells.
After Penguins is replaced by Mario Land,
AShell detection of ZPWLDXXX will be removed.

Bill

Follow-Ups: References: