wow, that was illegible!!

Robin <funky_cheeze@usa.net> wrote:
> JayEll64@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated 10/13/99 6:00:52 PM MDT, malcolmj1@juno.com writes:
> >
> > > this email is mainly directed towards jimmy mardell but i thought i'd
> > >  write it here on asm85.
> > >
> > >  how did you make the relocation program (the one using the '&'s in the
> > >  source for absolute addresses) and implement it with usgard.
> > >
> > >  does usgard search the program to find special bytes signifying an
> > >  absolute call and add the program address to it?
> > >
> > >  does the relocation program add a certain constant address to the
> > >  absolute jumps?
> > >
> > >  are these addresses calculated among the assembler's tasks, at run
time,
> > >  or just before run time?
> > >
> > >  thanks a ton.
> > >
> > >  jimi
> >
> > What I *think* happens is that Usgard, when compiling the source code into

> > object code (or binary code or whatever code comes between the source and

> > *.85s file), it creates a table at the end that lists all the addresses
that
> > relocation needs to occur at.  I don't think it has the addresses the
actual
> > instructions are referring to, though.  Then maybe it's
compressed...that's
> > my theory...I'd actually be interested in knowing if you ever figure out
the
> > answer ;)
> >
> > JayEll
>

> i asked jimmy about this once.
> i believe he said that the table is the abs. address, i.e. when you do "ld
hl,(&whatever)", it does the same as "ld hl,(program_addr)\ld
de,(whatever)\add hl,de"  (that actually is common sense - even i know that.)
anyway, i believe they're not relative.  'course there's a 50% chance i'm
wrong.

> speaking of, anyone else out there use macs?  'cuz i know josh morris
(macross) does... 'cuz i read the page.  anyway, that was just a question

__WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T SEND AS HTML__!!!

- Robin
President of ()rion Productions

Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com