Re: A85: Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:09:58 -0500

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:09:58 -0500

	Its something that must have been fixed in newer versions.  Heres
a bit from the read me.

TPPATCH does fix a bug appearing in all programs that have
been written using Turbo Pascal when such a program is run on a
Pentium Pro 200MHz or a faster computer.

This bug causes a runtime error 200 when the startup code of
Delay() is executed. The bug appears when a DIV instruction is
executed and the result does not fit into the destination
register.

With this bugfix you can patch all files that have been compiled with
Turbo Pascal, for example Crosspoint. This procedure does also
work with applications compiled for the protected mode.

To patch software without having the source of it, you can
apply better methods, for example replacing Delay() if you have
the runtime sources, and a unit has been posted in some
newsgroups that will circumvent this with various low-level
tricks.

With this patch Delay() does run correctly on all slower
machines, likewise on a Pentium Pro with 200MHz. But if there
are even faster processors one day, Delay() will wait a bit to
short on them. But the programs patched with TPPATCH will never
hang again because of the bug.