Re: A85: x-stat and delete protection

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: x-stat and delete protection

>Only one problem with this current thread:  the original question seems to
>have been forgotten.

No it has not.

>amaya@alaska.net had asked if vars could simply be non-deletable... but
>still accessible as a normal variable...

Since I believe the answer is no I started thinking about other ways to
solve the problem.

>My idea would be to somehow change the calculator so that when
>2nd|mem|delete is chosen, a jump to a new bit of code could happen...
then,
>it would be possible to code a delete utility which maintains a table of
>variable attributes (no-delete is the only one I can think of)
>
>This way, the utility can check the table to see if a variable can be
>deleted before the deletion is done...
>
>I'm sure that there are TI-85 hackers on this list who actually have time
>implement this, as I do not...  I think it would be a very useful
utility...

If it is correct that programs can be made invisible to the TIOS by just
making the first char a & or something like that, my solution to the problem
would be the following:

Make a program which makes it possible to make any BASIC program invisible
to the TIOS by chaning its name, and also lets one make invisible programs
visible again. In that way you could make the programs non deleteable when
needed.

A solution which handles the problem more directly, but which is also harder
to make is the following:

Make a TSR which detects when the delete menu is entered (use the location
byte and/or the contents of the menu). If someone enters the delete menu
make all BASIC programs invisible. One can then add a point to the menu
which lets you delete the BASIC program, but which requires a password or
something to do it. Or, one could chose only to make the BASIC programs
which ended with a special string invisible. In that way one could chose
whether to "lock" your programs.

Personally I think the first solution is the best, simply because the second
requires too much coding for such a small problem.

DInes