Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

The Z80 will never be maxed out. only your limited thinking.  Do you
program?  I agree with Humberto (although not on all things he has said
lately:Rigel is not the God-Shell.  Currently one doesnt exist.)  in that
Daedalus is a prime example.  But even that did not max out the z80.  it was
made on a computer (yes.  A computer) that was limited to only 27K of RAM
available, is clocked to a 2Mhz rate (the proc is rated for 6Mhz, but TI
decided, for unknown reasons, perhaps reliablitty, to slow it down.)  and
has a 128x64 b/w screen.  This is the not the limit of the hardware extent
of the z80 processor!!!  Daedalus may have maxed out the TI-85, but
definelty not the Z80.  Know this:The only limits imposed on the Z80 and any
computer built using it is a 20Mhz clock,  and an 8bit instruction set.
Memory can be, and is in many cases, paged.  As can be ROM.  Input can be
interfaced to ports.  Including a full 102keyboard, mouse, or joystick.
Output can be done on a SVGA screen, if we just interfaced the card to the
bus properly.  the IO ports can be paged. Or, RAM space can be used for
extra IO space. You get the idea.  The TI-85 has been (almsot) maxed out by
one game.  One game.  No other ones are even close.  None. Period.

--Jonathan Kaus
IRC: Jedsmeny
ICQ: 15873088
AIM: Jedsmeny