Re: A85: Just thinking.

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Just thinking.

>Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:15:43 -0600
>From: kb0sjr <kb0sjr@softhome.net>
>To: Jason Blakeley <assembly-85@lists.ticalc.org>
>Subject: Re: A85: Just thinking.
>

>Hello Jason,
>
>Tuesday, 1 September 98, you wrote to me:
>
>JB> You know something that would be cool? If Texas Instruments came
out
>JB> with a calc or a handheld comp that used the z380 processor. I mean
lets
>JB> face it, no matter how much people work on ti calcs, they'll never
be as
>JB> good as a regular computers because they don't have the processing
>JB> ability, they don't have the speed, they don't have the storage
>JB> capability, or the bandwidth to handle things like sound or
multitasking
>JB> or anything that we want it to.
>
>JB> But a z380 calc? That's a different story. 32-bit processing, 8
(16-bit)
>JB> registers, 33mHz clock speed, and 16Mb memory addressing! It would
>JB> combine the power of a 386 or 486 processor with the z80's pristine
>JB> instruction set. I mean there's only so far you can push the z80
and I
>JB> think its almost pushed to the limit as it is. I had an old 286 PC
that
>JB> I kept tweaking and tweaking trying to max out its capability, but
one
>JB> day I realized that it's like trying to make a Pinto or a Gremlin
look
>JB> and run like a Ferrari; it wasn't going to happen because there's
only
>JB> so much a 286 can handle. What we need is a calc/mini-computer with
the
>JB> power to handle all the stuff we want to do to it. Imagine a calc
that
>JB> looks like an 85 but with a 640x480 color display, superfast
processing,
>JB> and a 16 or 32-bit expansion bus that you can plug things into like
>JB> sound cards and I/O controller cards to handle HDD's. The neat
thing is
>JB> that it would be devoid of any type of software, making it a huge
>JB> frontier for programmers to explore. We'd finally be able to make
the
>JB> programs we want to make without worrying about choking the CPU or
>JB> running out of memory: multitasking GUI OS's,  huge action games
like
>JB> Doom or Quake, Internet browsers, it would be wide open. And if
enough
>JB> pressure was put on Texas Instruments, they'd probably make it.
>
>JB> Anyway, I was just thinking. What do you guys think about it?

>i don't think that they would do it
>
>Best regards,
> Kb0sjr                            mailto:kb0sjr@softhome.net

Maybe they wouldn't, but we've all seen how TI responds to what
customers want. They put built-in assembly support in their new calcs,
though they may have had other reasons for doing so than customer
satisfaction. But never the less, they still did it. Moreover, why would
they even bother to make the 92 if they weren't interested in making
more powerful calcs with more powerful processors that would offer their
customers more computing power without the cost of a laptop? Passivity
is not the best way to get what you want. You don't just wait for
something to happen and hope its what you want. You go out and apply
pressure and bend it to your will. In the end I guess it all depends on
what TI programmers want.