Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: new 85 hardware...

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 13:06:52 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>It seems to me that everyone wants bigger better games.  Lately I noticed
>that the answer was adding new hardware to the existing 85(DHOS & wave
>device.)  I tried not to get involved because I disagree and didn't want
>to rain on anyone's parade.

i agree.  i think that games should only be using what is readily
available hardware-wise.  additional hardware is fun to make and play
around with, but most people won't bother.  i'm sure most game
programmers like to have people play their game.

>When someone posted about pressuring TI to make a better calculator(really
>more of a hand held) someone said "you can only push the z80 so far."
>What confuses me is why most people(or just active message posters) would
>rather build new hardware than write a better shell to use the z80 to it's
>full potential.
>
>I'm still amazed that programmers haven't switched to Rigel.  The programs
>are smaller, faster, the code is just straight z80 (no &s here and there)
>and the shell is also smaller. The only thing Usgard has that Rigel
>doesn't is VAR routines.  But I never see them used that much.

What is faster about Rigel??  they are both of equal speed while
executing programs as far as i know.  but i do like the fact that the
shell is smaller, and programs are also smaller (i can't remember at
the moment but Solytare for Rigel seems > 100 bytes smaller and it's a
pretty small game... probably 5 to 10 % smaller).

>The only real problem I have with external hardware is that if I write
>something for it it only gets to those who have the hardware, since there
>is no wide distirbution my audience is VERY limited.
>
>Hope I get some feedback on this...

Follow-Ups: References: