Re: A85: Re: Assembly-85 Digest V1 #406

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998 STL137@aol.com wrote:
> <<I had a look at Tierra and it doesn't even come close to the complexity
> exhibited in Creatures.  Creatures uses Nueral Networks and has a
> graphical interface.  They learn, eat sleep, get sick, die and reproduce.
> It is so close to the real thing that the programmers insist you treat
> Norns with respect because they are alive.>>

> No, no, NO! You simply do not get it. "Creatures" is flashy programming that
> isn't true artificial life. Tierra is true, die hard AL, as it builds its
> "organisms" from chunks of Tierran *assembler* code. Evolution is not
> programmed into Tierra. Parasitism is not programmed into Tierra. Yet they
> develop on their own.

You're limiting you're thinking.  Tierra is like the 1st AL to come out,
"living" in the computer, made up of chunks of code.  Tierra I looked at
was "played" in a virtual machine.  In Creatures is "played" by Artificial
Nueral Networks in an "object oriented" world.  In both cases they evolve.
You're saying Tierra is die hard because it uses a much simpler
environment and interesting things STILL emerge. What emerges in Creatures
I think is much more interesting, behavior, speech... ignore the flashy
interface and it's still amazing.  But on the side of being more like
true AL.. Tierra wins just because life in Tierra "emegres from the ooze."

Have you ever seen Polyworld?  That's is what Tierra reminds me of.

-Humberto Yeverino Jr.

"I kick ass for the Lord."
-Dead Alive (1992)

Home Page: