Re: A85: Re: Tyrant ports

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Re: Tyrant ports

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, David Phillips wrote:
> But aren't programs for Usgard smaller and faster in size, due to the
> programs being relocated?  I thought every absolute jump or call inside the
> program had to be fixed to add the program address.  Or is the code patched
> as it is being loaded?  (I like the 86, code is relocated by the TI-OS :-)

Yeah, I guess it would save a little, but only for absolute jumps.  There
are so many calls it would be pointless to use Usgards built in
relocation.  But there aren't as many absolute jumps.  I think Usgard save
1 byte over Zshell for abs jumps.. I can't imagine the game having more
than 30 absloute jumps.. saving 30 bytes.

On the side, even with no overhead for calls, there is still overhead just
because I have to call so many routines.  I've though of a way to save a
byte by writing a routine that calls a bunch of addresses stored in a
table somewhere.

-Humberto Yeverino Jr.

"I kick ass for the Lord."
-Dead Alive (1992)