Re: A85: Got it to work, but I still have questions...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Got it to work, but I still have questions...

If you did this, you would need to keep two area's of memory with the
current graphics though, wouldn't you (like how gray scale has to
write to 2 memory buffers)?  i guess you could change the sprite
routine to draw to one video memory during an even iteration through
your game's drawing loop, then draw to the other video memory on an
odd time through the loop.  Ben Sferrazza suggested to me what i think
is a more practical purpose, to be able to write text to your buffer
(which would be VIDEO_MEM for the output functions), and use GRAPH_MEM
as the video memory.  that would make a *great* function for a shell -
to switch between GRAPH_MEM and VIDEO_MEM for where the video memory
is.  i don't know how many people would use it though.

-mike pearce

>Yes, it's possible. As someone else said, you could always use
>the graph_mem to draw on, and then copy it to the video mem. Even
>though that's fast, there is an even faster method; you can actually
>change where in the RAM the video mem should be (that's how grayscale
>graphics work). The LSB of the address must be 0, and the MSB must
>be >=$C0 though. I've never seen (or heard of) any game using this
>technique though.
>
>--
>Real name: Jimmy Mårdell                "can't go mucking with a 'void *'"
>IRC......: Yarin                                // Apple's MPW C compiler
>Email....: mailto:yarin@acc.umu.se
>Homepage.: http://www.algonet.se/~mja/

Follow-Ups: References: