Re: A85: Shell usage

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shell usage

I apologize, I wasn't thinking perfectly. Of course, it's no trouble for
people to get new shells if someone else has them. There are a few
problems, however:
* In general the multiple shells are not compatible with each other, so
no one can have shell-specific programs for more than one shell at one
time.
* Furthermore, all the shells can only be transferred through a memory
backup, so when you get a new shell from someone you lose even the
shell-independent (i.e. ZShell) programs you had unless the other calc
has room or you have a third calc to store them on or a link or
something.
* And there is the disadvantage I mentioned that the more advanced
shells take up more space.

Of course, I'm not disagreeing that it sure would be nice if there were
a "standard" shell that everyone could write for and use. But given the
current state of the shell...um...I want to say "market", but they're
all free...hmm. Well, given its current state, it seems wisest to me for
_programmers_ to aim for the lowest common denominator -- ZShell --
because then their programs will work on whatever OS people happen to be
running. Unless, of course, you absolutely _need_ certain routines that
only an advanced shell provides.

--
| \/|R|TR|LB|/\
| Michael Shulman
| mshulman@lausd.k12.ca.us
| ICQ UIN 329350
| http://lausd.k12.ca.us/~mshulman/
|
| "Does it [the pq-system]...count as a 'formalization of
| number theory', or is it more like a refrigerator?"
|     - Douglas R. Hofstadter, _Gödel,Escher,Bach_

Follow-Ups: References: