A85: Text editor with compression??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Text editor with compression??

-> I've had a great idea of creating quite sophisticated text editor for
-> 85. One of it's great?? features would be compression. What do you
-> think of it? Would it be worth it? I thought about adaptive huffman
-> being the compressing method. The compression is a bit difficult,
-> since to only compress lowest 127 characters needs temporary memory
-> about 760 bytes (I don't remember exact, it's not important), and if
-> one would like to extend it to be able to compress all 256
-> characters, memory needed for that might be almost 2kB!! I had
-> another idea to use somekind of static huffman using a constant tree
-> for everything, (i.e. the (de)compression tree would be stored inside
-> the program). Anyway, when using compression or not, editing would be
-> fastest when the whole text is stored in the same way as the ROM does
-> for homescreen input (which means having free memory of size of the
-> text...). BTW. How does
-> the ROM store the homescreen input? (I don't know excactly :) Well
-> anyway, I hope you get the idea? Just mail more ideas, suggestions! I
-> would appreciate it!

-> Henri Moilanen

The last entry program.  Its name is either '!' or '#' I can't remember
which, but it is an ordinary untokenized TI-BASIC program.  It should be
located pretty high in the VAT, right near the shell's VAT entry, but it
could be anywhere, depending on what ASM programs have been doing (some
ASM  programs can rearrange the VAT).

By the way, why do you need a text editor on the calc?  Why don't you
use the program editor?  It does nearly the same thing, and as long as
the data doesn't get tokenized, is should stay the same.