A85: Text editor with compression??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Text editor with compression??

I've had a great idea of creating quite sophisticated text editor for 85.
One of it's great?? features would be compression. What do you think of it?
Would it be worth it? I thought about adaptive huffman being the compressing
method. The compression is a bit difficult, since to only compress lowest
127 characters needs temporary memory about 760 bytes (I don't remember
exact, it's not important), and if one would like to extend it to be able to
compress all 256 characters, memory needed for that might be almost 2kB!! I
had another idea to use somekind of static huffman using a constant tree for
everything, (i.e. the (de)compression tree would be stored inside the
program). Anyway, when using compression or not, editing would be fastest
when the whole text is stored in the same way as the ROM does for homescreen
input (which means having free memory of size of the text...). BTW. How does
the ROM store the homescreen input? (I don't know excactly :) Well anyway, I
hope you get the idea? Just mail more ideas, suggestions! I would appreciate it!

Henri Moilanen