Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Shells and games

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart wrote:

> Don't any of you read the messages?  My comment was that the Shell that
> is best for a programmer all depends on what he programs, and has
> nothing to do with his competence!!  But a whole bunch of you seem stuck
> on thinking that what you prefer HAS to be best for everyone!!

Okay, your arguments are becoming ad hominum.  You're not reading OUR
messages.  I've read yours.  You say that your programs don't use any
Usgard features.  Fine.  That's because they're ZShell programs.  ALL you
have to do is reference your variables differently.  Merely add a & in
front of the name, and you don't have to add your program's offset to the
memory address.

Not only does this save space, it also speeds up the program slightly.
And ROM_CALLs and other jumps are also sped up.  It's very simple to do.
We're not saying you should use Usgard, we're saying that you don't seem
to realize that Usgard has useful functions for ANY programmer, unless you
don't use any variables, jumps, or ROM_CALLs.

You have to WRITE your programs to use Usgard's functions.  But you don't
have to do anything special for Usgard to benefit you.  If you don't use
variables, jumps, or ROM_CALLs, then (and only then) Usgard can't help you
at all.  And as Jimmy Mardell said, you must write very strange
programs...

-----
Stuntman (Nathan Haines) - ICQ UIN#: 2157863
http://www.cyberverse.com/~stuntman/nathan.html
President of Stuntworks, QuickBASIC/Visual BASIC programmer
Stuntworks - http://stuntworks.home.ml.org