RE: A85: RPGs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A85: RPGs

A RPG calculator is a calculator that uses "reverse Polish notation". These where/are
calculators that expect the operator to enter the variables in the order that the
CPU or ALU (arithmetic logic unit) expects. In modern day calculators, this is
usually done for you. An example as best as I can remember...

2+3=?

In RPG you would press [=] then [2] then [3] then [+] then "enter" .... [=23+]

I believe it stored each entry on a stack. The "enter" command told it to start
processing the stack. In this case it first pops a plus so it knows it must add the
next two numbers, it pops the next two numbers and adds them. The next pop is a
equal so it displays the answer. Obviously there was some keystroke to separate numbers
so it knew the difference between 23 and 2 and 3, but I don't remember how this
was done.

I don't remember why it was called POLISH unless some mathematician from Poland
originated the idea.