Re: A85: Question about NT

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Question about NT

On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Matt Bathje wrote:

> It's possible, but extremely inconvenient. I dual boot NT and 95 (actually
> quadruple boot with Linux and DOS) But...I usually am in NT. So when I am
> inclined to download files I want to put on the calc...which usually
> coincides with a new version of Sqrxz...I have to drop out of NT, and
> reboot into 95 or DOS for all of 30 seconds, then go back into NT...that's
> convenience, Microsoft Style

I normally wouldn't respond to non-85 stuff, but I think I can contribute
some info to this...

For those who are unfortunately NT4-deprived, it is (for once) everything
Microsoft claims it to be; it runs most Win95 apps, and it is damn near
crashproof.  But, it doesn't run ALL Win95 apps, and it's networking system
is by nature a pain in the ass (no direct port control, NetBIOS only, probs
with MS File/Printer sharing, etc.), and if preinstalled the only way to
dualboot is to install Caldera's OpenDOS and then install Win95 off of that.

A piece of software like System Commander works well for reducing time on
reboots (or so I'm told by coworkers), but I can't afford it!

That is the reason that no NT linkport software exists.. it's for most
parts impossible to access the ports directly from NT4 (both Workstation
and Server).  Running Win95 programs that do so just result in NT4 whining.

BTW, Matt, what distribution of Linux are you using?  I have to use Red Hat
at work.

Ryan J. Myers ( Webmaster )      rmyers@inetarena.com (ICQ UIN 1473314)
Portland, Oregon ( US )          http://boris.inetarena.com/
"Nolite tes bastardes carborundum." - Margaret Atwood
"C> REALITY.SYS is corrupt, reboot universe? (Y|N)" - Anonymous
The contents of this email are my own opinions and do not represent the
positions of my employers or any of their subsidiaries unless specifically
stated as such.