Re: A85: Link Port

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Link Port

>While its feasible, its probably not worth it. Instead, make a program
>that locks the person in the shell maybe, or locks the whole calc.
Okay, I don't think your getting what I'm saying.  Okay, I don't want to
restrict them to the shell.  What if they were borrowing it or something
and they needed it for math?  Uh oh, they can't get out of the shell.
But there are some people I don't want to give my games to, and
sometimes the person doesn't know what they are doing and somehow
deletes something I needed.  So if we were able to block out the link
port I thought we could do the same thing with the memory options.  I'm
so sorry I typed ROM instead of RAM, I'm not stupid, I know what I'm
talking about.  Games can have bugs.  Bugs are programs (NOT VIRUSES)
that have a problem and can call an incorrect address in the calculators
memory causing a problem.  We refer to these problems as bugs in our
programs!

>Oh...well, yes it is possible to do it, probably there is a byte(s)
>somewhere in RAM used by the TIOS to figure out exactly what menu is
>on... You can use a TSR to test that byte(s) and change them if they
>signify the link port.

Yes, that is something I did not know it did, I figured we could just
check the location the processor was reading, but your way is easier.

>A cooler idea is to check the keys being pressed, and disable 2nd-xvar
>by checking the key port for x-var and if it is held down, call get_key
>(thus destroying the x-var keycode which is stored as the last key
>pressed)! I'm not sure this would work, but i'm there is a
possiblity...

I still like the idea of using the TSR thingy.

>BTW, you'll probably want to use Usgard or Rigel, NOT CShell. Because
>you'll have to change the backup for CShell to use a TSR, and its lots
>of unnessecary trouble.

I would like it to be for CShell or CShell compatible considering thats
what I use and if we wanted it would be easier to port, but it doesn't
matter.  I hope this helps explain a little better.

John