Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Rigel, where'd it go??

Michael Pearce wrote:

> I am not sure how many people have realized this, but it is much
> easier and faster to program for Rigel.  When you program for Usgard,
> you have to know if the label is going to need a "&" character or not.
> For inexperienced programmers, this may be difficult to remember and
> difficult to differentiate between when you need it and don't.

Ah, well, that's imho quite a minor problem.

> I know
> that i (i don't consider myself to be an inexperienced programer for
> the z80 :) ) will still sometimes forget the & and it will crash my
> calc.  It's very annoying to crash the calc, then go back and say
> "whoops, forgot the &", then have to take the batteries out, hold down
> the on key, reload the shell, try the program out again.  I would have
> to image this happens to most everyone at some time.  With fixed
> address relocation, all of the calls are absolute from the programmers
> perspective.  there is never any need for the "&".  all calls look the
> same.  Of course, the Usgard team could do this with their shell with
> the help of an improved "srcwiz" or whatever utility.  I would
> definitely say that the Usgard developers need to improve this.

It would be possible for SRCWIZ to detect where a & should be used,
but that should only be an option, because sometimes you don't
want a & where it seems you want one :)

--
Jimmy Mårdell                "The nice thing about standards is that
mailto:mja@algonet.se         there are so many of them to choose from."