Re: LZ: Usgard

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Usgard

Jim Reardon wrote:

> I think it's sort of ignorant to say I'm stupid for not understanding
> Usgard's beauty.  I never once said it wasn't beautiful.

When I sent beauty, I didn't mean it was beatiful to look at really, but
that it's fully optional.

>  I believe it is
> great, almighty, and cool.  The new features just plain out rock my face.
>  Everything of the sort.  I merely said it tended to gobble up my
> prescious memory.  What you said about the shell is true, although it
> does exclude a few libraries (most notably the explore library, which I
> feel is going to be a big hype for some reason, with dread).  Usgard is
> great.

Most likely, a supersmall explorer library will be made which serves
it's purpose as a filepicker.

> One --little-- thing: any way to hide the shell from the shell?  So the
> Simple Shell doesn't show the Simple Shell in the list of programs?  That
> would be just so peachy keen.

Yes. If you have some programming skill, you could modify the source to the
simple shell. Since there is no difference between a shell and a program,
you would have to make the shell check for itself, and in that case don't
display it. I agree with you that it's annoying with the shell in the shell :)

> >If you have mostly ZShell games, you choose ZShell of course (or CShell
> or
> >whatever), but when Usgard cames start coming, they will dominate.
>
> This is true.  Perhaps that is why I think Usgard is such a "hog".  Most
> games haven't yet been made to use it's space saving features, which,
> when they are, will make the extra space worthwhile.

Yup. It always takes time to establish something new.

> Most likely I will do Usgard.  Although I can't say relocation and
> libraries make things much easier, they do trim down on size and speed
> some things up.  My game Darkness will almost definately be a Usgard
> specific title, soley because there are some pretty big differences
> between coding Usgard and ZShell, and converting would take away oh so
> precious time.

Sounds good :)

> Please don't get the idea I was bashing Usgard.  I should have mentioned
> I did not have much time to poke around with it, and had intended on
> seeing how small I could make an installation that is very operable.

I think the small shell should be the standard shell really, because most
people will use it.

--
Jimmy Mårdell                   "Searching for shelter
mailto:mja@algonet.se            My brain is on ice

Follow-Ups: References: